At the end of the day, I was a little wiped out, so I saved this post for today ;) We had an excellent time going over the letter N. We sang Ten Little N's (to the tune of Ten Little Indians) during circle time. Then we read The Story of Noah and proceeded to make arks out of paper plates. The kids were very into the painting project.


Nest we read a book about a bird making a nest, then made edible nests with chow mein noodles and chocolate. They kids enjoyed playing the the jelly bean "eggs" but weren't too interested in eating them at first. I think most of nests were stripped of eggs by the end of our day, though. The nests themsevles seemed to gain some appeal as the day progressed.


Nest we read a book about a bird making a nest, then made edible nests with chow mein noodles and chocolate. They kids enjoyed playing the the jelly bean "eggs" but weren't too interested in eating them at first. I think most of nests were stripped of eggs by the end of our day, though. The nests themsevles seemed to gain some appeal as the day progressed.
Then we talked about nurses, a topic near and dear to my heart ;) WE discussed what a nurse does and where you might encounter one. We then each took turns listening to one another's heart and lungs with the stethoscope. Everyone wanted to take a listen, but not everyone wanted to be "examined." We also made nurses with toilet paper rolls, and these were a much bigger hit than I had anticipated. They made for some interesting role play.


The last activity (which we didn't quite finish - due to overplanning and overestimating their attention spans) was a nest mobile. I had big ideas for this one. We had feathers to glue on the birds, straw for the nests, and glitter glue for additional decoration. Most managed to decorate one of the four birds. This project was set aside for the purpose of chasing one another around with a stuffed snake and I found myself alone in the kitchen, punching holes and tying yarn
2 comments:
I loved the toilet paper nurses and nests. I guess I know how I'll be asking to talk during community helpers unit:)
Well Julie,
My favorite thing was the nest and birds you made with them. We hung it in Cole's room by his window. Also he ate all of his chocolate bird's nest on the way home, of course I took a few bites too!
Post a Comment