Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Quilts and Queens

What a great day Q turned out to be.  The kids started off playing together as soon as they got in the door.  They played so well that I let it go on for several minutes before I made them come down to start circle time.

I intruduced the letter Q and talked about some different words that start with it.  We read
"Oma's Quilt" and looked at Samantha's special quilt that tells things about herself and has neat shapes (hearts, stars, and flowers) on it.

We played "sleeping bunnies" by using the quilts to pretend we were sleeping.  In case your kids want to play again here's how it goes:

(sung to where is thumbkins)

Sleeping bunnies, sleeping bunnies
Go to sleep, go to sleep (kids lay down and pretend to sleep)
shhhh.....
WAKE UP LITTLE BUNNIES, WAKE UP LITTLE BUNNIES (kids stand up and pretend to
 wake up)
Hop, hop, hop....hop, hop, hop (kids hop like bunnies)

(repeat with different animals: penquin-waddle, crocadile-c
homp, horse-gallup, etc.)

We also made our very own quilt squares out of paper, stickers, and other fun decorations.  The kids really got into these and spent some time making theirs just right.
All our quilt sqaures together - what an artistic group!

Our snack was also quilt themed.  We had cheese squares, crackers, bread squares, and some chex mix.  I didn't see any "food quilts" made like I anticipated, but there weren't many complaints either so they must have liked the snack.


We also discussed queens (and kings) and made our very own crowns.  They loved digging in the bowl of flour to search for jewels like kings and queens wear.  It ended up being a little
messier than I expected, but it was totally worth it, since it kept them entertained and happy for nearly 30 minutes!

We had a ROYAl good time today!  hehe....



1 comment:

Julie said...

I love how the paper quilts really show their little personalities ;) I'm sure Samantha's hands were wringing with excitement when you talked about her quilt :) It looks like they had a great time!