Thursday, February 26, 2009

R is for Rainbow

We had a great time with the letter R! We started with circle time and talked about a few words that start with the letter R such as rectangle and rabbit. Next, we sang "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" a couple of times. Then I read them The Rainbow Goblins.
We moved tot he kitchen and read What Makes a Rainbow? as we did a demonstration with food coloring and water to see what colors make up a rainbow. Everyone had a chance to help me mix the colors into the water, which was enjoyed by all.
Then we had some rainbow Jell-O, which wasn't as big a hit as I had hoped it would be ;) They seemed to enjoy playing with the cups more than eating what was inside them. At least they were having fun, though;)
After a long time of barely eating the Jell-O, I decided to proceed with the next activity. So, we read The Rainbow Fish and afterward made our own rainbow fish with pieces of tissue paper and aluminum foil. This went over pretty well.
It took great effort to get all of them lined up for this picture, but it was totally worth it - look how cute!
We took a little break to clean up/play (guess which I was doing). Then we did our last activity for the day - making our own rainsticks. This was not much messier than I had foreseen and the kids really enjoyed crunching up the aluminum foil to put in their tubes and filling them with beans, rice, and popcorn kernels. We finished them up by decorating them with construction paper and stickers. For once, I think I managed to plan just enough to fill the time without going overboard! It was a good day :)

1 comment:

Deanne said...

What fun day! I think your jello looks beautiful! I was impressed that you took the time to make the layered rainbow jello. It can be such a pain. Way to go the extra mile! =)

I love the food colored water idea and rain sticks. Truman has had fun making lots of noise with his stick. I was wondering what was inside.

That picture of the group is great. Can you email me a copy?